What is UPK?It is a software tool that can capture all the steps in a system process. It records every keystroke, every click of the mouse, each menu option chosen and each button pressed. All this is done in the UPK Recorder by going through the transaction and pressing “printscreen” after every user action. From this, without any further effort from the developer, UPK builds a number of valuable outputs.
All major ERP/Enterprise players have their own version (PSFT, EBS,JDE, SAP, Siebel) perhaps one of the less well known of the software products on the price list, however just a brief consideration of its name indicates that it may be of considerable value to organisations. We invest significant money and resources in the purchase and implementation of software applications but do we realise, in practice, the levels of productivity that we would like to have and that will bring the full return on our investment?
Here are some tips to help you reduce costs:
- These tools have become quite easy to manipulate you don’t require a centralized group, de-centralize function these packages have become mainstream. De-Centralize the use of these type of packages.
- You invest more than time and money when you decide to go with a UPK package. You are, in essence, investing in a product to explain and handle your business processes. With everything that you spend (time, money, and effort) learning the system, Negotiate hard with your vendor, Your goal should be to pay the right price and not what the vendor is telling you, I have seen clients get substantial savings on these type of products. The downside once you are committed to the UPK system even if it is not entirely suited to you and your staff. This makes it unlikely that you'll switch to a new system, even if that system might work better, because you've just spent so much time incorporating it into your organization. Change is expensive.
- If you buy use it throughout the whole project lifecycle, as recommended below:
Were it adds value to your implementation:
4) Users learn and absorb the new application and procedures much easier through the many training tools available through UPK.
5) Quality assurance testing is made simpler and virtually seamless by capturing test case scenarios using the Oracle UPK.
6) Process documentation is completed almost automatically by utilising UPK.
7) When creating your content always have the training plan in mind, and it should always address these points:
Training and delivery approach per module
Audience per module
8) ROI on UPK is usually delivered quickly, it will help you standardize application throughout the organization and help you reduce test script creation time and reduce documentation time
9) Maintain your walk away power. It is better to walk away from a not interesting price rather than making too large of a concession, that your organization will regret later.
Finally in my experiences, UPK can output Instructor manuals, student guides and quick reference cards directly from the same single recording exercise. The efficiency that can be gained across the project is obvious in terms of a single recording and development exercise supporting so many project activities. UPK could be financially justified on the generation of test scripts alone for a medium to large implementation.
When it comes to supporting major application implementations, there is no substitute for experience. Hire people with experience to help you design your UPK strategy and deployment.