Here is your complete look at Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c pros and cons, and the vision
Oracle has an early head start with the future of Enterprise Management, and its latest iteration of Enterprise Manager 12c is the best yet.
While the technology isn't perfect yet, I have been test driving for the past 2 weeks and when testing received some network errors and other hiccups, but pretty stable and flexible and the clunky interface from version 11 has been completely revamped.
Here is the new look of Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c. It’s a beauty.
Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c is Oracle's envisioned product line to manage the complete lifecycle of the cloud. I think as cloud adoption becomes more mainstream, companies will be obliged to follow and add this product into their suite of products. Why?
- Oracle has integrated management services, monitoring, and plug-ins that communicate with My Oracle Support.
- New web 2.0 User Interface easy to configure and information is placed in a user friendly and logical fashion
- The Agent architecture comes with all the plug-ins you require
- Technology uses latest ADF technology, easy to install (solid documentation), also was impressed with the operating system Solaris 11.
- I had some hiccups when test driving the application where i needed to shutdown services and databases to get it started. (I probably had some patches that i did not install – Make sure you have all recommended patches)
- I found that the licensing agreement is quite complex probably because of its enterprise wide reach, Below is the link to the licensing agreement http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/license.121/e24474.pdf
- EM12c R2 is certified with BI Publisher 220.127.116.11.0 only. Therefore in case you are using EM 12c R1 which is integrated with BI Publisher 18.104.22.168.0, you must upgrade the BI Publisher to 22.214.171.124.0
As Cloud Computing sees a better adoption rate, I think the prospects of Enterprise manager 12c will bevery promising.
Below is how a Private Cloud Lifecycle (also known as the Enterprise Cloud) project would be executed from initiation to deployment.
For individuals that are not aware or familiar with this product line and would like to learn more, here are some links to help you get started:
Overview of the Oracle Enterprise Manager 12 C - Online Documentation
Oracle Enterprise manager 12c videos
Thank you all for the feedback on the website, really appreciate it, helped me quickly to get a handle on the issues/bugs. I will configure video sometime in February.
I am currently test driving Oracle Exadata with some folks in Palo Alto, will share my thoughts/pros and cons and strategies to adopt Exadata on my next article.